Launched osteochondrosis of the cervical spine (CS) causes a mass of unsafe complications in the patient, among which the most severe is disability and persistent deterioration. Therefore, you should not ignore the emerging signs of the disease and immediately go to the doctor's office. Only timely treatment will help to avoid unpleasant consequences.
Cervical osteochondrosis is a very unpleasant disease from which even the brain can suffer.
Reasons for development
Pathology often appears in old age, but this does not mean that every person in old age will have cervical osteochondrosis. According to observations, the main causes of the disease are:
- sedentary lifestyle;
- improperly organized workplace;
- excess weight;
- stress, nervous strain;
- autoimmune disorders, due to which muscle dystrophy occurs;
- congenital pathologies of the spinal column;
- frequent hypothermia.
The manifestation of this symptomatology in cervical osteochondrosis does not have a clear criterion, but by the nature of the condition it is possible to determine the consequence of which disorder this symptom is. Dizziness is distinguished:
- Systemic. When it seems that the surrounding objects are moving in a circle (a symptom of osteochondrosis).
- Non-systemic. The feeling of circular movement is absent, but symptoms of lightheadedness, darkening in the eyes, nausea (cardiovascular pathology) are expressed.
With the development of cervicothoracic osteochondrosis, dizziness is a consequence of:
- spasm of veins and arteries in the brain;
- clamping of the vessels of the cervical spine;
- dysfunction of the vestibular apparatus.
The symptom is more often observed in women with protrusion of the c6-c7 discs. Pathology is pronounced or bothers you periodically. In this case, it will not be possible to independently determine the cause of the pain correctly, therefore, in order to exclude arterial hypertension, angina pectoris, cardiovascular failure, stroke, it is important to undergo a diagnostic study and ask the doctor for the exact diagnosis.
Discomfort elsewhere in the body
Osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebra is manifested by pain in different places, while the symptoms can be sharp or moderate.
Disturbed by pain in the neck, shoulders, and in various parts of the upper limbs. Muscle spasm mostly occurs in the morning, and gradually disappears during periods of physical activity. Typical sensations that manifest the disease:
- lumbago and dull pain in the neck;
- crunching and crackling when turning the neck;
- muscle weakness, numbness, goosebumps are especially pronounced with protrusion of the c4-c6 discs.
With osteochondrosis of the cervical spine with a displacement of the patient, blood pressure surges are often disturbed, because the vertebrae of the neck penetrate many nerve fibers, blood arteries and vessels. Due to their compression, blood circulation is disturbed, as a result of which the pressure rises or falls. Symptoms of the manifestation are as follows:
- a feeling of heaviness in the chest and the inability to fully inhale;
- numbness in the neck;
- deterioration of health after stress, physical activity, prolonged stay in an uncomfortable position.
Degrees of development
Cervical osteochondrosis at this stage is manifested by the onset of pathological changes in the intervertebral discs, which lose elasticity, strength, dry out and decrease in size. The fibrous ring is covered with cracks. With stage 1 cervical lesions, the condition is still satisfactory, because the symptoms are not particularly disturbing, but in the morning there is an aching soreness in the neck.
If the signs of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine were ignored at the initial stage, and the patient refused to be treated, grade 2 SHOP occurs, in which there is a rapid progression of pathological symptoms. The intervertebral disc gradually collapses, there are small dislocations of the cervical vertebrae. The second period of the disease is characterized by the development of the "falling head" syndrome, in which severe painful discomfort is disturbed and the patient needs to keep his head in a fixed position, thereby making it possible to relieve the state of health.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine at the last stage is manifested by pronounced symptoms. A protrusion of the disc or hernia develops, as a result of these disorders, the patient's voice changes, where there is an Adam's apple in men, a lump in the throat is felt, because of which it is difficult for a person to swallow. Also, the pathology is characterized by:
- severe headache;
- dizziness and nausea;
- lumbago in the cervical area;
- the development of a complication called cervical myelopathy.
At the final stage, the intervertebral discs are completely destroyed, and connective tissue is formed in their place.A person has:
- violations of the vestibular apparatus;
- migraines and dizziness;
- noise in ears;
- visual impairment.
Syndromes of pathology
There are such symptom complexes:
- Cardiac. In manifestation, it is similar to the pathology of the cardiovascular system. The patient complains of the following signs:
- burning sensation in the chest;
- shortness of breath;
- deterioration in general health;
- angina pectoris.
- Vertebral. If you are worried about the signs of such a syndrome, it means that the bone and cartilaginous tissues of the neck are affected. Pathological changes in the vertebrae and intervertebral discs are clearly visible on radiographs. The person is worried about:
- problems with neck mobility;
- discomfort when moving.
- Vertebral artery syndrome. In this case, the pathology affects the veins and arteries that pass in the cervical region and provide the brain with the necessary substances. Due to the compression of the vessels, insufficient blood supply to the gray matter occurs. The patient is worried about:
- severe migraines;
- partial loss of vision and hearing;
- jumps in blood pressure;
- deterioration in concentration.
- Radicular. As a result of such a violation, 1 out of 8 pairs of spinal nerve roots is affected, while the body is mainly affected on one side. With this syndrome, severe pains are disturbed or paralysis develops when sensitivity is completely lost.
If you do not start to treat cervical osteochondrosis in a timely manner, there is a risk of developing such complications:
- IRR and constant pressure surges;
- violations of the vestibular apparatus;
- pathology of the thyroid gland;
- hypertension or hypotension;
A neurologist, who must be visited first, will help diagnose osteochondrosis. In order to accurately establish the forms and stages of the disease, as well as to find out the reasons for the development, the patient is sent to the following diagnostic measures:
- CT and MRI.
To restore the affected areas and alleviate the accompanying symptoms, complex treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is prescribed. The patient will need to take special medications, follow the doctor's recommendations, and engage in physiotherapy exercises. But if such a scheme did not bring a result, the pathology in this case is treated with the help of surgical intervention.
Medication for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
If the diagnosis has shown that the disease has not been started, medication therapy is prescribed. The best medicine is selected by the doctor, based on the individual characteristics of the patient's body. It will be possible to cure cervical osteochondrosis with the help of the drugs presented in the table:
|Anti-inflammatory||Helps to relieve pain, relieve inflammation|
|Chondroprotectors||Restore cartilage tissue|
|Muscle relaxants||Relax your muscles|
|Topical ointments and creams||Eliminate pain symptom, improve nutrition|
|Vitamin and mineral complexes||Improves overall well-being|
Effective treatment of pathology without fail includes exercise therapy. Thanks to a set of exercises, it will be possible to normalize the blood supply to the cartilage and bone tissues, as a result of which the damaged parts of the body are restored. Follow these rules:
- perform exercises smoothly, without sudden movements;
- the duration of the load is no more than 1. 5-2 minutes;
- the first classes should be supervised by a specialist.
Cervical osteochondrosis can be treated with the following procedures:
- magnetic therapy;
- laser therapy.
Massage and manual therapy
It is recommended to take a course of massage therapy at the stage when the disease just appears. But even in the treatment of advanced forms, this event brings relief to the patient. Massaging is carried out in stages and includes:
The procedure is performed by a specially trained therapist, otherwise the condition will worsen.
The following recipes are effective for cervical osteochondrosis:
- Cabbage. Apply a heated cabbage leaf to the affected area overnight. Wrap a sore spot with a woolen scarf.
- Potato. Make gruel from raw potatoes, mix with honey, make compresses from the finished ointment.
- Salt and sand. Combine the components, warm up, put in a bag and apply to the sore spot.
When is surgery needed?
If conservative and auxiliary therapy does not work, surgical treatment is prescribed. An operation is performed to remove bone formations and disc herniation, then anterior cervical fusion is performed. During the recovery period, it is recommended to wear a Shants collar. But surgery does not guarantee complete recovery from the disease.
Signs of cervical osteochondrosis are pronounced, therefore, during the disease, disturbing discomfort and deterioration of well-being will not go unnoticed. It is important not to miss the first symptoms of osteochondrosis, because in the advanced stage, drug treatment does not always help. To prevent pathology, it is important to monitor your health, eat right, give up bad habits, drink 6-8 tbsp daily. water. At the first symptoms, do not self-medicate, but go to the doctor and treat the problem.